Monday, March 7, 2011

Instead of squirrels, we have dogs.

There are so many stray dogs here! I'm so used to dogs being pets, not strays, and its so hard to not pet them! They are vaccinated for rabies, but it's still not safe to get too close. They are everywhere--on the beaches, in el centro, and some even hang out near my house!
     It's actually really annoying...you see....pet dogs in Chile live outside because it's always warm and never rains. So when it's 3am and stray dogs walk by my house, all my pet dogs outside hear them and go crazy barking. And then I wake up...  :-(
      And the sad part is that they're just like pet dogs who only want to play and be loved. So they follow us all the time! Especially when we go for runs outside because they think we're playing tag or something. The other day a dog actually followed some of us to class, sat under my desk the entire class, then followed us into el centro. She was so cute.
      But some of them are really crazy looking. they aren't neutered or spayed to they just make lots of baby strays that are wild combos. I saw one that had the body of a fat welsch corgi and the fur of a yellow lab. it was kinda crazy.
     It's really sad that there are so many strays, and they really are like squirrels here--there are so many, and people mostly ignore them. It's definitely a hard thing to get used to, but I guess that's just the way it is here.

1 comment: